DJI Osmo Action 4 camera - frequently asked questions
New camera DJI Osmo Action 4, the premiere of which took place august 2, 2023 brings interesting changes and improvements. Below you will find answers to the most common questions about the new camera, see what has changed compared to its predecessor and what improvements the manufacturer has made.
What are the main improvements of the DJI Osmo Action 4?
The Action 4 camera is distinguished by its larger sensor (1/1.3-inch CMOS) and better image stabilization, which improves the quality and smoothness of recordings. New color mode 10-bit D-Log M offers more than a billion shades and greater dynamic range for post-production. The camera is waterproof up to 18 meters and has two touch screens and a magnetic mount for interesting shots.
DJI Osmo Action 4 camera issues
Questions about the camera, such as image performance, high-definition video recording capabilities, configuration of image settings, use of built-in filters, and access to special modes. You can also find information on ergonomics, design durability and how to use the technologies available on the DJI Osmo Action 4.
What resolution settings the DJI Osmo Action 4 supports?
The DJI Osmo Action 4 supports the following resolution settings:
- 4K (4:3): 3840×2880@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS
- 4K (16:9): 3840×2160@100/120FPS
- 4K (16:9): 3840×2160@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS
- 2.7K (4:3): 2688×2016@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS
- 2.7K (16:9): 2688×1512@100/120FPS
- 2.7K (16:9): 2688×1512@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS
- 1080p (16:9): 1920×1080@100/120/200/240FPS
- 1080p (16:9): 1920×1080@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS
What video formats the DJI Osmo Action 4 supports?
The camera supports the format MP4 (H.264/HEVC).
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 support distortion correction?
Yes. You can toggle the field of view (FOV) to Standard (Dewarp) in the video and audio settings section on the right side of the camera view.
Can I save the original images from Timelapse shots?
Yes. You can download images from Timelapse shots and display them on your computer.
What is RockSteady 3.0?
The DJI Osmo Action 4 uses RockSteady 3.0 technology to stabilize the image. Electronic image stabilization involves increasing the shutter speed, analyzing images captured by the cMOS sensor and compensation by trimming the edges of these images. In this way, multiple frames are superimposed and eventually combined into a single frame that is sharp, clear and accurately exposed.
What is HorizonSteady?
HorizonSteady uses the latest stabilization algorithm DJI, to correct the vibration for each horizontal rotation (360°) and lock onto an aligned horizon in each frame, regardless of how the camera is mounted or worn. This allows you to capture smooth and stable shots, whether you are riding a bicycle on bumpy roads or a go-kart on a track.
What recording resolutions does HorizonSteady support?
HorizonSteady supports resolutions 1080p@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS and 2.7K (16:9)@24/25/30/48/50/60FPS.
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 allow you to record slow-motion videos?
Yes. DJI Osmo Action 4 allows you to record videos slow-motion up to 1080p/240FPS (8x).
What is D-Log M color mode supported by DJI Osmo Action 4?
D-Log M mode is designed to capture a wide dynamic range from the sensor, so colors are evenly distributed, and the light and dark parts of the video have greater fidelity and clarity. It is not a LUT, but a lower contrast video with a flat color profile, which gives you more options during post-production.
How to export photos and videos from DJI Osmo Action 4?
There are three ways to export:
- Connect to app DJI Mimo and download the footage to your phone.
- Relocate microSD card from DJI Osmo Action 4 to computer.
- Connect the DJI Osmo Action 4 to your computer or smartphone using the cable USB-C.
Where the footage created with the DJI Osmo Action 4 is saved?
The footage is stored on a microSD card inserted in the DJI Osmo Action 4.
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 use a fixed-focus lens?
Yes. The DJI Osmo Action 4 uses a fixed-focus lens - objects are clear when they are at least 400mm away from the lens.
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 allow you to set the metering?
DJI Osmo Action 4 supports metering multi-segment, but does not support spot metering.
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 enable HDR video recording?
Videos recorded with the DJI Osmo Action 4 feature a high dynamic range, which means HDR mode is not needed.
Where is the DJI Osmo Action 4 color temperature sensor and what is it used for??
DJI Osmo Action 4's color temperature sensor is embedded in place of the letter "O" in the logo on the front of the camera. Do not cover it during use. Thanks to the DJI Osmo Action 4's color temperature sensor, it provides excellent color rendition even in difficult lighting conditions, for example, when diving. Sensor corrects color temperature when filming underwater and reduces flicker caused by changing recording angles. It can also more accurately detect and reduce light flicker.
What video and stabilization specifications are available for Auto Low-Light Image Enhancement?
When Low-Light Image Enhancement is set to Auto, it supports all stabilization options for 1080p@24/25/30FPS, 2.7K (16:9 or 4:3) @24/25/30FPS, and RockSteady for 4K (16:9) @24/25/30FPS.
The most common questions about the operation of the DJI Osmo Action 4
A compilation of popular questions about the features, settings and practical aspects of using the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera. You'll find information on starting recording, accessing special modes, calibrating stabilization, smartphone connectivity, and how to troubleshoot common technical problems in getting the most out of your device.
What phone app is used to operate the DJI Osmo Action 4?
Users can control the DJI Osmo Action 4 with an app DJI Mimo, which allows you to adjust settings, select recording modes, synchronize photos and videos, as well as edit and share footage.
How to activate the DJI Osmo Action 4?
To activate the device, follow these steps:
- Download DJI Mimo, by scanning the QR code displayed on the camera screen or by using the app store of your choice.
- Press and hold the Quick Switch, to turn on DJI Osmo Action 4.
- Turn on the DJI Mimo app, tap the camera icon in the upper left corner on the home screen, turn on the Bluetooth i Wi-Fi on your smartphone, then connect to the DJI Osmo Action 4.
- After connecting the DJI Osmo Action 4 to DJI Mimo, you will receive a notification to to activate the device.
- Go through the activation process, by following the messages in the application.
How to update DJI Osmo Action 4 software?
DJI Mimo app will automatically send update notifications. Follow the messages to perform the update.
How to switch between front and back screen?
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock it and switch to it. Using the camera menu, users can choose to view the front and rear screens simultaneously or use only one screen.
Does the front screen support touch control?
Yes. With its help you can customize parameters, switch between modes, play video and more.
How to switch to vertical recording?
Mount the protective frame and hold the camera in vertical orientation. You can also use the camera in conjunction with accessories to switch between horizontal and native vertical recording.
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 support voice control?
Yes. DJI Osmo Action 4 supports voice commands in English and Chinese (Mandarin). It is recommended to use the voice control function from a distance of one meter from the camera in as quiet an environment as possible.
Available commands in English:
- Start Recording
- Stop Recordind
- Such Photo
- Shut Down (Off)
How to use the InvisiStick function?
After recording a video with DJI Osmo Action and a selfie stick, you can connect the camera to the DJI Mimo app to remove the selfie stick cloth.*
*To ensure the desired effect, use the Osmo 1.5m telescopic boom and try not to cover any part of your body with it while recording. InvisiStick supports video recording up to 1920x1440 if you remove the selfie stick from the cloud shot, or up to 1280x960 if you do it locally.
How to share the recorded video?
Simply save the recording to your phone and then share it. You can also upload a video in the DJI Mimo app, then generate a link and share it.
How to manually set shutter speed, ISO and other camera parameters?
- Touch the video and audio adjustment icon on the right side of the camera view, enable PRO mode in the upper right corner, and then select m mode, to manually adjust shutter speed, ISO and other camera settings.
- Turn on the app DJI Mimo, enable pRO mode in the upper left corner on the home page, and then tap Settings at the top of the screen to manually adjust the shutter speed, ISO and other camera settings.
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 have a sleep mode?
Yes. When the camera is on, press and hold the Quick Switch, to enter sleep mode. Press the button once to wake up the screen. Press the shutter/record button once to turn on the SnapShot.
Can I connect an external microphone to the DJI Osmo Action 4?
Yes. You can connect a third-party microphone using a cable USB-C 3.5mm.
Can I adjust the playback volume on the DJI Osmo Action 4?
Yes. Touch the volume icon in the upper right corner on the playback page to turn the sound on or off. Press and hold the icon to adjust the volume.
What are the functions of the DJI Osmo Action 4 Snapshot button?
When the camera is off, briefly press the SnapShot shutter/record button on the top of the device to start recording. Press again to stop recording, and the DJI Osmo Action 4 will, after three seconds will automatically shut down. This way you can start recording in an instant, so you won't miss the opportunity to capture a special moment.
Questions related to the battery
Questions cover topics related to the performance, battery life and practical use of the battery in the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera. Learn more about operating time per charge, methods for efficient charging, and possible tips for maintaining optimal battery performance.
What is the operating time of the DJI Osmo Action 4?
- The maximum operating time of the DJI Osmo Action 4 is 160 minutes* or up to 150 minutes when recording at low temperatures up to -20°C.**
*At 25°C, in a lab environment, while recording at 1080p/24FPS (16:9), with RockSteady stabilization enabled, with Wi-Fi off and screen off. The information provided here is for reference only.
**At -20°C, in a lab environment, while recording in 1080p/24FPS (16:9), with RockSteady stabilization enabled, with Wi-Fi off and screen off. The information provided here is for reference only."
Does the DJI Osmo Action 4 support fast charging?
Yes. You can use the charger DJI USB-C 30 WATT, to quickly charge the DJI Osmo Action 4.*
*DJI USB-C 30 Watt charger is available for purchase separately.
Can DJI Osmo Action 4 camera be used while charging?
Yes. If the battery is not in the camera, you can still use it by connecting it to power with a USB-C cable.
Questions about DJI Osmo Action 4 camera accessories
The questions focus on additional components that can expand the functionality and use of the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera. Get information on fixings, compatibilites, connections and any supporting accessories.
What accessories the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera is compatible with?
There are plenty of accessories available to use the DJI Osmo Action 4 in a variety of scenarios. For more information, see table on our website.
Can I use DJI Osmo Action 4 with accessories designed for other Osmo Action series devices?
Detailed information is available here.
How to mount various accessories on DJI Osmo Action 4?
- Mount official accessories directly to DJI Osmo Action 4 using the quick-mount locking clip.
- The tripod and other accessories can be mounted using the magnetic mount with ball joint or using the 1/4″ threaded hole in the bottom of the 1.5 m telescopic boom.
Can the DJI Osmo Action 4 be mounted on a tripod?
Yes. You can mount the DJI Osmo Action 4 on a tripod using the magnetic mount with ball joint or using the 1/4″ threaded hole at the bottom of the 1.5 m telescopic boom.
Is the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera compatible with third-party accessories?
Yes. Accessories from other manufacturers can be mounted using the adapter with quick-release coupling.
How strong is the magnetic connection between DJI Osmo Action 4 and accessories?
The magnetic force is very high, and the additional positioning clip increases the resistance on impact. *
*Do not throw, hit or crush this product.
Is the DJI Osmo Action 4 flat adhesive base reusable?
Not. Flat adhesive base uses stickers 3M, that are not reusable.
How to properly connect the Bluetooth GPS remote control and use it?
For details, see the video tutorial at DJI.
Questions about the app for DJI Osmo Action 4
Topics focus on the functionality, compatibility and availability of tools in the context of operating the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera through the mobile app, enabling users to make the most of the device's capabilities.
What is LightCut?
LightCut is an application for video editing recommended by DJI. Offers intuitive recording and editing features for DJI product users, including an artificial intelligence-based function One-Tap Editing, a variety of exclusive video templates, inspiring creative tutorials and many other resources that allow you to edit and generate videos effortlessly wherever you are.
How to download LightCut?
The LightCut app can be downloaded from major app stores or from the Downloads section of the official website DJI.
How to combine LightCut with DJI Osmo Action 4?
- Make sure that the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera is activated and turned on, and then turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on your smartphone.
- Enable the application LightCut and tap the device icon at the top of the screen.
- Select your device ID and tap Connect. Check your device's verification code and tap Accept. When prompted to join a Wi-Fi network, tap to connect.*
*Do not turn off the application during the connection process. When in use, make sure the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera is turned on and enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on your smartphone - the DJI Osmo Action 4 will automatically connect to LightCut.
What features are supported when the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera is connected to the LightCut app?
- The LightCut application offers numerous templates, that fit a variety of shooting scenarios captured with Osmo Action Series equipment. Once connected, you can easily preview the footage without uploading it, allowing for easy editing and efficient video generation.
- One-Tap Editing will automatically recommend templates according to the selected footage and intelligently select shots to generate a short video without manual editing.
- You can customize editing, music, text, stickers, speed, filter (color tuning for shots recorded underwater is supported) and more in the app for more flexibility and freedom creative.
What to do if you get a timeout message during the connection process?
Place your phone closer to the DJI Osmo Action 4 and try again.
How to forget connection to DJI Osmo Action 4 on smartphone?
- iOS: enable the LightCut application and check the connected devices in the My Device section. Swipe left on the selected device, then remove it.
- Android: enable the LightCut application and check the connected devices in the My Device section. Touch and hold on the selected device, then delete it.
What to do if the device cannot be found?
Make sure your smartphone and DJI Osmo Action 4 are turned on. Place the two devices close to each other, also make sure to enable Bluetooth on your smartphone and authorize the LightCut app. Then try searching for the device again. If you still cannot find the device, reset it.
What to do if the connection fails?
Try the following solutions:
- Make sure to turn on Bluetooth i Wi-Fi on your smartphone.
- Restart the DJI Osmo Action 4 and the LightCut app, then try again.
- If the Wi-Fi password of the DJI Osmo Action 4 has been changed, turn off Wi-Fi on your smartphone and turn it on again, then try connecting again.
How to use LightCut app for quick editing?
Turn on LightCut, go to One-Tap Editing and select your recorded videos. Function One-Tap Editing will automatically recommend appropriate templates that are optimized for a wide range of scenarios, including nature, city, home, stores, food, pets, festivals and more. The app will then intelligently select the shots and generate a short video without manual editing. You can also try other templates, change selected clips or choose music, filters, text and stickers. Easy editing lets you share great videos quickly.
Can you activate and update the DJI Osmo Action 4 using the LightCut app?
Not. To activate DJI Osmo Action 4 and update software, download the app DJI Mimo.
Other questions about the camera
A set of issues that cover various aspects of using the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera, such as heating, advantages, maintenance and upkeep tips, as well as information on technical support. These questions will give you a more complete picture regarding the use of this device.
How to solve the flickering problem when playing back footage recorded with DJI Osmo Action 4 on different computers?
Playback of recorded material may be affected by computer settings and performance. If flickering occurs, try the following solutions:
- Apple Mac: go to System Preferences - Displays - Refresh Rate and change the refresh rate to a fixed value (instead of ProMotion).
- Other computers: low-performance graphics cards may cause flickering during file playback. It is recommended to use a computer with better parameters to watch movies.
How to add GPS information to a video?
Osmo Action GPS Bluetooth remote control lets you save GPS information and add sports tracking to your videos using the DJI Mimo app.
Why the DJI Osmo Action 4 heats up during use?
DJI Osmo Action 4 supports 4K/120FPS video recording, which requires a lot of power to operate. As a result, after recording videos in high resolution and at a high frame rate for a long time, users may feel the heat while holding the camera.
Can the DJI Osmo Action 4 lens be replaced?
No, the lens of the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera cannot be replaced.
Can you connect the DJI Osmo Action 4 via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi?
Yes, the camera can be connected via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
Is the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera waterproof?
Yes. You can submerge the DJI Osmo Action 4 to a depth of up to 18 m without waterproof housing or up to 60 m with DJI waterproof housing.
What to do before using the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera underwater?
- Check that the glass lens cover and screens are intact. Close the battery compartment cover and the USB-C port cover, then tighten the glass lens cover.
- The DJI Osmo Action 4 camera can be used at depths of up to 18 meters. However, in case of long-term recording under water, in high-pressure environments or with prolonged exposure to water, it is recommended to install a waterproof housing. With a waterproof housing, the DJI Osmo Action 4 camera can be used at depths of up to 60 meters.
- Do not use the camera in hot springs or extreme underwater environments. It should also not be exposed to corrosive liquids or liquids of unknown origin.
- Before replacing the glass lens cover, let the DJI Osmo Action 4 air dry to avoid condensation caused by water entering the cover.
- After using the camera under water, rinse it with clean water and let it dry before using it again completely dry outdoors.
What microSD cards the DJI Osmo Action 4 supports?
- SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDHC 32 GB memory card
- SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC 64 GB memory card
- SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC 128 GB memory card
- SanDisk Extreme PRO 256GB V30 C10 170MB/s memory card
- Kingston Canvas Go!Plus 64GB UHS-I Speed Grade 3
- Kingston Canvas Go!Plus 128GB UHS-I Speed Grade 3
- Kingston Canvas React Plus 64GB UHS-II Speed Grade 3
- Kingston Canvas React Plus 128GB UHS-II Speed Grade 3
- Kingston Canvas React Plus 256GB UHS-II Speed Grade 3
- Lexar Pro 512GB SDXC UHS-I V30 R160/W120 (1066x)
How to clean the lens area of the DJI Osmo Action 4?
- Dirt on the lens can be cleaned with a suitable cloth. If there is dust in the lens edge slot, use a dust blower or a cotton swab to clean it.
- To clean water stains, oily smudges or fingerprints, apply a few drops of cleaning fluid to the appropriate wipes and wipe the lens in a circular motion.
What to do if dust or sand gets inside the DJI Osmo Action 4?
The DJI Osmo Action 4 camera is dustproof. However, if dust gets inside it and it can't be cleaned, contact us for repairs.
DJI Osmo Action 4 is the latest release of a sports camera from DJI. It provides even better image quality and superior performance, allowing users to capture amazing shots of their activities and travels. We hope that the information provided has been helpful to you. If you are missing answers to any questions, please feel free to contact us - we will be happy to assist you.